SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

ADVANCE NOTICE: Next version of Jaikoz will be showing new Fingerprint Service

The next release of Jaikoz will be using the AcoustId Service instead of the AmpliFIND service. AmpliFIND is discontinuing its offering, but AcoustId is a better fit for Jaikoz anyway.

However althought the next release of Jaikoz will only generate AcoustIds it can still use any existing AmpliFIND Ids for matching, and deleting duplicates as well as the newer AcoustIds.

So I would recommend you run [b]Action/Remote Correct/Retrieve Acoustic Ids[b] on your existing files before the AmpliFIND service is discontinued, expect to be the end of August.

Does MusicBrainz use the AcousticID too (instead of the PUID or both)?
Do you use a new field in Jaikoz for the AcousticID?
From where did you get the information, that the AmpliFIND is discontinuing?

From the AcousticID website

Till now, I never saw an AcousticId in MusicBrainz only the PUID (AmpliFIND Id).
So, [quote]Acoustid is an open source project that aims to create a free database of audio fingerprints with mapping to the MusicBrainz metadata database [/quote] but what is with MusicBrainz metadata database mapping to AcousticID?

AmpliFIND has been bought out by Gracenote and they are shutting it down and not renewing contracts.

AcoustId uses a system which is similar but better than AmpliFIND, Acoust Ids will be stored in a different field to Puids. Because Jaikoz will still be able to make use of Puids , just not generate them anymore.

The AcoustID project is closely aligned to Musicbrainz by a long term Musicbrainz contributor, however the instead of putting acoustids directly into Musicbrainz they are mapped in the seperate AcoustId database accesible as follows http://acoustid.org/webservice.

So the end result is that there will be no loss of functionality but Jaikoz will just be using a different service (a better service), and a non-proprietary service. Sounds good to me. Also, this will end the need for genpuid? I can’t say that I’m unhappy about that.

Mark you are correct on all counts.

Well clearly this is a beta version; but the move (dropping support for calculating PUIDs) looks pretty aggressive if Picard via the Acoustid author doesn’t even directly support the new scheme yet and is still worried about fingerprinting more collections of known content (http://forums.musicbrainz.org/viewtopic.php?pid=15236#p15236).

Maybe licensing made it impossible to continue right now? Too bad since it looks like a strong migration timeframe would be ideal (and full support for both mechanisms should be maintained during that timeframe).

Based on the original MusicBrainz announcement when they licensed with MusicIP they were suppose to be able to continue the service (http://blog.musicbrainz.org/?p=160) even if MusicIP stopped providing it. Maybe that didn’t cover the licenses needed for third party apps? Otherwise it looks like they’re falling into the exact trap they indicated back then shouldn’t be possible.

Anyway; I’m all in favor of a new open system that won’t be plagued by these issues. But it looks like right now PUIDs will still have a decided advantage in linking to existing MusicBrainz data. Dropping it from Jaikoz already means I’ll again have to pull additional tools (Picard likely or genpuid.exe directly) which is a pain to say the least and diminishes the one-stop advantage of Jaikoz.

-Jeff

@jdoering

I fully agree with you!

Guys, Lukas is not worried about the fingerprinting database now its going to be officially launched within a few weeks and now has good coverage.

Unfortunately whilst Musicbrainz does have a perpetual license with MusicIP nonbody else does. My license runs out this month and because they have been taken over by Gracenote no licenses are being extended, this was non-negotiable, the service is being shutdown. I have had a migration period in that you have been able to generate puids and then submit acoustids/mbids in Jaikoz for a number of months now and Ive posted announcements about this. Acoustid was not ready early enough before my MusicIP license runs out to allow full support of both Acoustids and Puid.

I expect Acoustids will be added to Picard very soon, but Lukas isn’t the main developer of Picard anymore. But anyway because Jaikoz can still use puids you can continue to take advantage of existing puids (and new ones if you use Jaikoz in conjunction with Picard or standalone genpuid) and the new Acoustid service, so you are in effect getting two systems for the price of one.