SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

AAC support?

Maybe I’m missing something; but I can’t get my files to load. They’re all AAC. Opening from the file menu and drag and drop both do not work.
Does jaikoz not support aac files?

Yes, it does support AAC, maybe there is a particular problem with the way you have them encoded, as there are many different flavours of mp4s. Can you send me your support files (Advanced/Create Support Files)

file and log

Tried sending a file but got this

HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report
description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.
exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
net.jforum.JForumExecutionContext.enableRollback(JForumExecutionContext.java:272)
\tnet.jforum.JForum.service(JForum.java:209)
\tjavax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
\tnet.jforum.util.legacy.clickstream.ClickstreamFilter.doFilter(ClickstreamFilter.java:59)
note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.30 logs.
Apache Tomcat/7.0.30

Hi, yes forum isnt very good for file uploads but you can always email support@jthink.net

any idea from the logs?

Ah, yes aac files AFAIK use the .mp4 suffix whereas your file uses the .aac suffix, that is why it is ignored, renaming the file will resolve the issue.

Any chance this will be ‘fixed’ in the future.
Remaining an AAC file mp4 (apple and others) is technically a violation of the specification.
Hate to have to rename my entire library just for that.
Otherwise thank the internets for Bulk Rename Utility

Its an easy enough fix, but I am confused about what you say as nobody else has ever mentioned this as a problem and I never come across .aac files.

Guess I’m just outside the common userbase for you.
Most home server receivers (disc servers) use AAC for stored audio data. In my case, an Elite SX Audio server, which uses HE-AAC (AACHE). I use 512kbps for home, and 64kbps for my mobile player. I /believe/ the range is 12kbps to 7mbps, but not sure.

Advanced Audio Codec is an MPEGLA sponsered codec, that can be used raw (AAC, AHE, and HEAAC), or in the mpeg container (mp4, m4a, mpeg4).

As I’m sure you are aware; iTunes, Microsoft, and Play! files (among others) are not raw audio, they’re containers that include the aac audio file and other files as well, (including DRM and licensing xml files).

FWIW; I didn’t mean anything by ‘fix’ btw. more as add…

My portable player simply requires me to pay extra for a parser for mp4 containers. but plays AAC out-of-the-box.

AAC is a format that is used by apple and a few home server receivers. Mainly game console units that are used to either receive or to run as a media server. Apple uses it along with mp3. They use to only use it back when they used DRM for all their music as they were able to wrap it with their fairplay drm garbage.

I very rarely see anymore any aac files, unless they are ones that have drm thrown in them. Even apple now allows mp3 or aac files, and the aac files are typically labeled with m4a extensions.

Im confused as to whether an aac file and mp4 file can be the same just with a different suffix, or whether aac files are using a completely different (non-mp4) container.

If you just rename the file to .mp4 does it work in Jaikoz ?

No
I get the message The following Audio Files are not recognised as audio files, they may be corrupt.

An aac file is a raw audio stream
Using iTunes as an example
When you download from iTunes you get an m4a file
This is a renamed MPEG 4 container file. It contains an aac OR mp3 file, an “apple text” XML file and a Meta data utf -7 file
Mpegla states remaining conventions for.container files as such:
MPEG4
mp4
m4a for audio
M4b for books (audio alone or audio and text/images)
M4v for video
All are containers holding one or more files

Using mp4box you can extract a non-protected iTunes file and get *.aac *.XML and *.apl
Often you can also get JPEG or PNG files as well, or on older cracked files a qti image

Just like flash, you can extract *.vp8, *.aac and *.adi

Aac itself is an audio file, commonly found in a container file but not always

As a side, microSoft and emusic also have aac files in some regions. so does Tmobile music And virgin tunes
They Rename the aac file to m4a. this is an out of spec use
I can rename a .txt file .m4b but it’s still a text file. Winamp, apple books, kindle fire and nook will Load the files as multimedia books, and just display the text but it’s still a plain text file

Hope that helps

I’m still running into problem with .aac not begin recognised in 2017

For instance, any aac file generated by

http://convert2mp3.net

[edited]
I’ve both given up on having a direct implementation here, and moved on from aac to aac-he.
I used a script from videohelp to put all my aac-he files I already had in MP4 containers (m4a) but when my converter, ezcdda, updated a while back to including he out of the box I’ve stuck with that for the codec in an MP4 file.

If you want the script to put your files in containers, I’d be happy to pass it on. You’ll need to load mp4box from an elevated prompt and side load the script, so typing in a command is required, but after that the mp4box interface is self explanatory;
Right click on the folder of MP4box and chose run a command prompt or open a command prompt here

Type mp4box.exe /l aacmpa.sy b

point it to the directory you want to run the containering on e.g. C>users /mycomputer/music etc

Type y or n for the question on subfolders,

and type r for run.

Yes please, send me in PM or leave it here somehow, I’ll have a look the next weekend.

Thanks,
V

Like I said as long as you do things in order it’s generally quite easy. But conundrums arise so if you have errors Post back.
I’ll post the script for you as soon as I get a chance. (To find it).
At the time I was looking to jam as much onto a knockoff mpeg player that had 2 gig of space. MP4 containers add a few K to about a meg in overhead. But 5 years later and that’s no longer an issue.
I don’t have any Ill will over this though. Back then naked files was a “hacker” thing that the mainstream didn’t understand; making accommodations for a tiny percentage of users probably didn’t make sense.
Now it’s just overhead and we’ve generally learned to make due with a few (pointless) lost KB. With he there’s even less concern. He at it’s highest setting has consistently proven itself. A 5 minute file taking about 4 meg on full range has been “cd quality” in blind tests 98% of the time. An extra meg for the containers at most, still is better than monkey and flac at 500 meg+ for the same quality.
My suggestion for future audio is set your current converter to use aac-he or xahe in an mpeg 4 container.
Again I’ll post the script as soon as I find it. It was some time ago. I may just google it ; lol.

It’s dirty but it’s the first thing on google! :wink:
Just make sure the frmpeg in the folder is updated. As the current version uses aac-he by default and the older version may not properly recognise the he extensions and strip it from the file in remusing as it does when MP3+ and atc3 files.

Also looks like, quickly scanning google, many people use handbrake to do container passthrough now too. Haven’t tried that myself but there’s a flood of info on it.

Some converters allow you to output a naked file, one without the MP4 container.
The two players I use the most, vlc and juke both play back the naked aac-he files just fine.
However a naked aac-he file has a different identification than an MP4 container file.
Some software, such as this and iTunes don’t recognise the aac-he file without the container due to the different identification.

The reason for not using the container in the past was to reduce the overhead. An audio cd inside an amazon box takes up more space than a bare cd. This is the same idea.
In the past the overhead was the difference in a few extra tracks on my 1gb USB MP4 player. Today the few bites to a K or so doesn’t make much of a difference.