SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

A new release orientated Manual tag from Musicbrainz

There are a lot of changes in the version 380, but the Manual Tag from Musicbrainz has not been updated with the new algorithm. This will be the focus of the next release and I would like your ideas on how you think a new Release focussed Manual Tag from Musicbrainz should work and look like. I hope to add a Manual tag from Discogs task as well.

There was an idea of someone (couldn’t find the posting), where he wished to click on a value in the manualcorrect-window and this value would taken over.

Like this,
click the button in front of the line (line changes color), the whole line is taken over.
click only a value in another line of that song (maybe album) (the value color changes) and this value get preference over the value of the button-clicked-whole-line or if no button was clicked only this value would be taken over.

Okay, thanks I was thinking more substantial changes than this. For example grouping up the tracks in groups (hopefully albums) and doing the match group by group, only showing tracks where necessary.

The “Match to one MB ID” is a good start, but too labor intensive. If there are multiple releases that match exactly, present them all (list out label, date, cat #, barcode, etc) and let the user apply the release data to the entire album. This will be especially important with all the new release IDs in NGS.

Would love some help with deciding what to do with this.

Let me doodle something up and see what I can come up with.

Menu item name: “Change release within release group” (too long)

Then present a list of all the releases in the release group… user selects the correct release and then can review and save the data.

It should work on entire albums, not on individual tracks.

But, in cases (e.g. “Candleland” by Ian McCullouch) where there is a single and an album of the same name (and the single was re-released as bonus tracks for the deluxe version of the album…), it should be able to keep the items separated even though the names match.

First of all, let me say that auto matching is a lot better with the option to match whole releases. The main reason I used MC was to make sure tracks were being assigned to the proper release (US/GB/bonus track/2002 re-release, whatever) My suggestions for Manual Correct are similar to Cloud’s. Where auto is clearly not giving the best or earliest release, I’d like a convenient way of reassigning the release with a release group.

For loose tracks (i.e., tracks where I do not have the whole album) it is also nice to do a search and see the best matches over many different releases (including compilations, soundtracks, etc.)

I’m trying to squeeze in a change to Manual Tags from Musicbrainz so that i can select a different track for a particular track ,and then for all other tracks that have an option for a track with the same release id as the selected track update all those tracks. i.e if you match one track to a different release, you can match all the other listed tracks to the same release. But I dont want this to overrride the currently functionality where you can chnage one track at a time.

But I cant work out a nice ay to do it in the GUI, maybe this was what Alfg was suggesting but didnt follow it, anyone ?

How about this:

side by side radio buttons, one that updates only this track, the other that updates that track plus others on the same release. Alternative this could be a radio button (select this) and a checkbox (alter rest). I like the MC GUI in general, with the hope that media type could be displayed as well.

People who use MC are doing it on a small number of tracks that don’t match up well in Auto, or they’re compulsive about everything matching up. I’m happy with doing it track by track, so long as it works predictably.

I think alfg’s suggestion was to allow editing directly in the MC results window. I have had it myself where I want to update the track based on the MC result, but know I will have to go back in the edit window and strip something from the album title (for example).

I did think about adding a button next to the other one. But radio buttons seem a bit wierd because its not like the user has to pick one option fo reach track, checkbox is wrong because whayt would unchecking it do.

I think a regular button makes more sense as its a oneoff command, once you click on it it will use the selected release for any other recordings in MC that have that release, and if in the meantime they make some more changes and then click on it again it wil try and do the same thing again, but at no point does there need to be an option to undo it.

Maybe neater would be a right click bring up a submenu where you can select the ‘Match all recordings to this release’ . This would also allow me to add other options if neccessary, I could add the action oif the viw button to this for example. My only reservation is that it seems a bit hidden.

Went for the popup option , now available in Beta 3 at http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/beta/start.jsp

[quote=Alfg]There was an idea of someone (couldn’t find the posting), where he wished to click on a value in the manualcorrect-window and this value would taken over.

Like this,
click the button in front of the line (line changes color), the whole line is taken over.
click only a value in another line of that song (maybe album) (the value color changes) and this value get preference over the value of the button-clicked-whole-line or if no button was clicked only this value would be taken over.[/quote]

I suggested this I think a couple of years ago by now. Paul, out of curiosity, do you have any plans to ever implement something like this?
For me at least it would be a great enhancement. The lack of this feature is one of the main reasons I now do manual corrects one by one or in groups of five.
You basically can’t do bigger groups because now whenever you see an error which can not be corrected by choosing a “match” (because there is none) you have to have a really good memory or stop the MC and correct the error manually.
Most of the time this means changing “artist” to “the artist”. Would be great to do this without leaving the manual corrector.

Now you’ve explained your reasoning I might do, I didn’t really understand the problem or solution before now. But if its just the case that the Artist name isn’t formatted to your liking I would leave that till later and just use the tag browser to identify alternative forms of artsit name and correct accordingly.

For me it’s these kind of errors in the artist and title fields and to a lesser extend the album field. Because when there is no match with a release I at least want to have the artist and title fields filled in correctly.

If by correcting in the tag browser you mean the main screen, then yes of course I can do that but it means leaving the manual corrector. Errors like baetles instead of beatles are easy to miss in the main screen. And it sort of depends on your approach I think, if you are correcting one or two albums at a time this would work fine but personally I don’t really care about albums and have folders with hundreds to thousands of songs by different artists to tag. Then the main window is less usable for this.
Consider as an example correcting all permutations and typos for The Andrews Sisters with and without “The” or the s in Andrew/Andrews or capitals and then all less easy to find versions like Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters in a main window with 2000 songs loaded…
Most certainly this applies to the song title it would be great to do this in the manual corrector window where you have a list of 10 possible matches showing you what the correct title is.