SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Genre numbers replacing text in TCON

Okay, it sounds to me that I should change V23 Genre to null separate values like V24, then if Xmbc is fixed so you can specify null as the separator that should work.

In the meantime, how about you take advantage of the fact that Jaikoz can also writes genres to the grouping field, comma seperated. Use Edit/Swap to swap the contents of genre and grouping fields, (or delete contents of genre field and use Append to Left) and just modify Xmbc to use the comma as the field separator

Hey, sounds good.

Thx Paul.

Have you tried my grouping idea yet ?

Not yet, I was out of town.

I use my music with xbmc without any issues. All of mine is 2.4 with always write enabled and save in itunes friendly genres. I don’t get any script errors. Though I do clear out any non standard english characters that are in my file names.

I converted all my 2.3 to 2.4 a few years back after most players had support for it. I don’t think I have tested playing any of my music locally on the iphone or ipod. I have a streaming server setup, so I can access all of the music anywhere at anytime on either device. It works fine that way, but again the tags are being read from the music, saved to the server, then sent to the iphone, instead of having the iphone read it directly from the music.

@Dkoh,

Which skin are you using for xbmc? I noticed some skins are far more buggy than others. I am currently using the aeon mq3. Though very interested in the mq4 once it comes out. The screenshots on that look sweet!

In new release ID3v23 now writes multiple genres as a null separated list. so you just need to work out a way of reading setting the null as a seperator in Xmbc

http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/6710.page

I did consider allowing you to specify a different separator for multiple values when saving files, but if I do that I also have to have an option for reading files with a different separator or reading different multiple seperators. Frankly it needs more consideration and could not be done for this release.

Thx Paul. I’ve been encumbered by a bunch of life’s little annoyances and haven’t even been able to look at music for a while. I’ll check out the new version, do some force saving, and see how it goes.

@greengeek
I’m using Aeon Nox SVN at the moment. I like MQ3 (and is 2nd in my book), but didn’t finish getting it setup so I stuck with Nox for the time being. You know how skins go, 8 hours of fine-tuning and you don’t want to do it again. MQ4 looks slick though.

And yeah, it’s mainly the characters. I have too much to weed through to fix them manually. The main problem I have is with CDArt Manager. I’ve already dealt with him briefly for a solution, but me playing with v24 kinda screwed things up.

What do you mean by “streaming server”? How I’m setup now is just a bunch of SBM shares through multiple PCs and wireless for the living room. I don’t dare point iTunes to my main drives, so it’s drag-n-drop through iTunes for devices.

@Paul
FWIW, I tried the Genre/Grouping format and it didn’t work properly in XBMC. In fact, once I scanned them in I couldn’t even find them through teh genre searches.

[quote=dkoh]
What do you mean by “streaming server”? How I’m setup now is just a bunch of SBM shares through multiple PCs and wireless for the living room. I don’t dare point iTunes to my main drives, so it’s drag-n-drop through iTunes for devices.[/quote]

I use either subsonic, http://www.subsonic.org with the isub iphone app or ampache, http://ampache.org/ to stream my music. I can then browse my full collection on my iphone, listen to songs or albums, or create playlists. Or I can use the web interface and do the same thing from any computer that is hooked up to the web.

[quote=greengeek]
I use either subsonic, http://www.subsonic.org with the isub iphone app or ampache, http://ampache.org/ to stream my music. I can then browse my full collection on my iphone, listen to songs or albums, or create playlists. Or I can use the web interface and do the same thing from any computer that is hooked up to the web. [/quote]

Ha! That’s sweet. I’m checking them out now. Thx.

I’m having this problem with 4.6.2 on OS X Mountain Lion. I had 150 or so tracks I was editing in Jaikoz, setting Genres on some of them. When I imported them into iTunes (the latest version on Mountain Lion) all the genres that had numeric equivalents showed up as numbers instead of names, e.g. Folk-Rock became 81, Progressive Rock became 92, Rock became 17, etc. My preferences are set to Always Delete V1 tags, Always Write Tag, v23.

Do you have “iTunes Compatibility” checked?

You mean “Save genres in an iTunes-friendly format”? I just discovered this checkbox. It was not checked, but I just checked it. Was it there before this release? I don’t remember seeing it before, but if I had seen it I would have checked it. Could it have gotten unchecked automatically by the update? Anyway, I guess that should fix it.